At Mantis, we are huge fans of survey-based research.
People love data. And, by its very nature, original research is something different is the sea of me-too content.
Marketers tout the many benefits of research -- and we have seen these, too:
- Backlinks from others who link to your research and cite you as an authority in your industry.
- Mentions from media and influencers in your space.
- New leads and email subscribers
- Invitations to speak on podcasts or at industry events
- Requests to guest post on other websites
- A seemingly endless stream of content that tells a story backed by data
But, not all original research is created equal.
Marketers have the best of intentions when creating research, but, for many, this is a new type of project and it's easy to unintentionally make mistakes that cost time, money, and, worst of all, credibility.
These are some common mistakes we see:
- Creating research because you know it works . . . but not specifically defining how you want it to impact your business
- Writing survey questions that are unclear or leading. Not only are questions difficult to answer, but the data you get back isn’t meaningful.
- Drafting surveys that are too long and that people abandon.
- Allowing anyone to take your survey instead of focusing on the right people and disqualifying those who don’t fit your target profile
- Forgetting to include quality checks your survey or cleaning your data so it's as valid as possible.
- Reporting a bunch of data without a story behind it (it doesn’t mean anything)
- Forgetting to include a solid methodology that provides credibility
- Keep your research behind a form and not sharing the results
- Launching your research without a solid plan behind it
- Leaving data and stories on the table if you only publish one report
At Mantis, our mission is to help marketers, agency owners and freelancers create research they are proud of and that gets results.
To do this, we have a specific process we have honed over the years that focuses on the aspects that are essential if you want to create credible, story-wothy research that makes your desired impact.
How to Publish Research that Makes an Impact
At Mantis, we have both in-depth experiences with both content marketing and original research. While there are a lot of things companies can do to be successful with their research, we focus on three things.
Effective research starts with credible data. It's table stakes . . . but it's easy to make unintentional mistakes that erode the value of your research.
Your data needs to DO something, MEAN something. We help you uncover and explore the stories that will make an impact for your audience.
Once your research is complete you need to have a solid plan to launch your findings and extend the life of your research.
It truly felt like a partnership
"Working with Mantis on this project was far and away one of the best experiences I’ve had with a third-party partner. They were thoughtful, responsive, collaborative, flexible—it truly felt like a partnership."
Natasha Wahid | FullStory
Valuable, actionable insight
"Eventbrite has partnered with Mantis on our annual trends report for the last 3 years and couldn't be more satisfied. Mantis doesn't just help you conduct original research, they apply their extensive marketing and branding know-how to ensure you're capturing valuable, actionable insight."
Ronnie Higgins | Eventbrite
Wondering if research is for you or how to get more from the research you are already conducting?